Corvus' Miniatures

Painted sf & fantasy miniatures by Gerrie Schenck

Tip: the one cent wet palette

First of all: what's a wet palette? It's used to keep paint from drying. It gives you more time to work with the same mix, or simply to keep the paint wet when working in dry environments (for example outside).

I don't use a wet palette that much. Sometimes when the weather is nice and I want to paint outside or when I create a mix which I want to use during a long painting session. No matter how much you use it: it's a great tool, and it's cheap too! I'm amazed that some companies ask more than €10 for a wet palette when you can make one yourself for less than 1 cent.

The materials you need are a small dinner plate, some paper towel and baking paper (I use brown, but I guess white works just as good). Take two sheets of paper towel, fold it two times so that it first on the plate and hold it under the water tap. Soak it, but not too much so that there's a pool of water on top of the towel when you put it on the plate. Cut a piece of baking paper so that it fits on top of the plate and put it on the wet paper towel.

There's your wet palette!

2 comments:

Paul Wu said... @ July 27, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Hmm, I'm going to have ask permission from the wifey before doing that to one of her dishes! Hehe, excellent tip, all the same.

Carl Brown said... @ July 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Very clever, I might give this a go if I'm going to get two consecutive days painting. Sometimes I go a few weeks without getting to the table! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Facebook

Corvus' Miniatures on Facebook