Corvus' Miniatures

Painted sf & fantasy miniatures by Gerrie Schenck

My Finecast story, part 3

After my last complaint (read all about it in part 2 of my story) I got promised by GW customer service that before sending another replacement to me, it would be inspected by someone from QA (isn't that their job?) and another person from customer services.

This time I got the miniature delivered in an envelope (previously it was a box), with the addresses written on them by hand. Let's take a look at this "supposed-to-be" flawless figure:

My first reaction was probably the same as yours. How can a figure without a head get through QA????

But then I took a closer look at the envelope, and the head was in there. The blister was opened, so there had been an inspection for sure. But the contents of the envelope got severely battered during shipping. There were a lot of indentation marks on the blister plastic, the paper inlay was even ripped where the head was, so this envelope was probably placed at the bottom of a pile. Besides the head one of the "antenna thingies" on top of the figure also broke of. Good idea to ship this in an envelope GW! Time to check out the casting quality.

The areas which were really problematic on the previous two figures looked okay now: the chest area and the worms on the base didn't have a bubble on the tip of every pointy bit. But a further inspection quickly revealed several big bubbles on the arms. The hair also was damaged by bubbles.


Two other major defects included a part of the base being evaporated by a big bubble, and one of the vials on the mechanical hand having a similar problem.


The cloak had two identical problems to the previous figure: the cloak which is very thin in places, and the corner near the bottom suffering from a bubble. The spine area on the back was also severely damaged during shipping.

This figure also had a small bit of mold material on it, which you might have read about elsewhere. It was hard to picture since it was in one of the recesses in which an arm should be glued, but it appeared as a small pink speck.

I have decided not to ask for a replacement this time. I think I've seen enough of this product to get a good image of its quality. And with this last one they made two very severe errors: bad packaging and sending me a figure with obvious flaws while promising to send a perfect one. I'm now going to try to get my money back, but I'm afraid the only thing I will get back is a voucher of some sort. I'll keep you guys up to date!

12 comments:

The GunGrave said... @ December 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Jesus, what is the deal with these guys and this crappy product???

I bought a 'Crapcast' Logan Grimnar for my Wolves, and was very dissapointed with the quality (shock horror). I got a metal one off of eBay in the end, and vowed never to wate money on it again!

peter said... @ December 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Been following this story, and I agree with all you write. A great dissepointment!
But the question is now, are you going to built it? Maybe you can fix some thing with putty?
Keep us informed Corvus ;-)

Greetings
Peter
http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

Corvus said... @ December 17, 2011 at 11:26 PM

No way I'm going to put my time in fixing these defects, I'm not a sculptor! I'm a promoter for the hobby, this also includes promoting good products, and this isn't one of them!

Colonel Shofer said... @ December 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Absolute madness !!! :(

I, too, am onto them, now ... this has gone on for too long and needs addressing properly ...

http://colshofer.blogspot.com/2011/12/colonels-second-finecast-foray-part-2.html

Onwards.

CS

peter said... @ December 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Thanks Corvus! looking forward to your next "good" project!

Greetings
Peter
http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said... @ December 18, 2011 at 11:32 AM

This is ridiculous. Although I felt like they failed already when they promised you a more throughout inspection before sending another replacement, they shouldn't have to do that if their product was of a good quality.

I can deal with excess mold lines on minis, even if I of course prefer them to be nearly flawless, but when parts are missing because of a bad cast it's hard to overlook.

Fuzzbuket said... @ December 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM

well at least GW is now making better plastics :D but still that is terrible they should have sent you some of that liquid gS :L

-fuzz

Phil aka Tuskar said... @ December 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM

No. I have to agree totally with Corvus. Wa all want to paint our miniatures, may be convert them, but - speaking of me - don't want to repair such severe damages. Thanks for Your reviews, keeps me away from this stuff.

Anonymous said... @ December 19, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I had the same aweful experience with failcast when I was making my Dark Eldar army. So much wasted time using greenstuff to fix their molding shortfalls. I simply convert what I need for my armies now or get different models from a third party source. I'm sad because I used to really respect GW and their products. And yes, you will most likely get a virtual voucher which is what I ended up with and still haven't spent after almost 6 months.~sigh~

Zab

John Lambshead said... @ December 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Oh ye Gods!

NAVARRO said... @ December 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Damn Corvus those minis have serious problems.
Mathieu Fontain blog also reported 10 finecasts sub par replacements at

http://www.akaranseth.com/blog/quest-for-an-overlord-conclusions.htm

This only ends if people stop buying these products.

Pablo El Marques said... @ December 20, 2011 at 1:44 PM

What a story!
Thank you, because I have remembered an article that had outstanding
Share on: http://pabloelmarques.blogspot.com/2011/12/citadel-failcast.html

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Facebook

Corvus' Miniatures on Facebook